Century of Painters, 1866, ii. 164-7; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists of the English School, 1878; Royal Academy Exhibition Catalogues, 1794-1847; British Institution Exhibition Catalogues (Living Artists), 1806-43.]
HOWARD, HENRY CHARLES, thirteenth Duke of Norfolk (1791–1856), only son of Bernard Edward, twelfth duke [q.v.], by his wife Elizabeth Bellasyse, third daughter of Henry, the second and last earl of Fauconberg, was born on 12 Aug. 1791 in George Street, Hanover Square. Three years after his birth his parents were divorced, in May 1794, by act of parliament, his mother then marrying Richard, second earl of Lucan. On 27 Dec. 1814 he married Lady Charlotte Leveson-Gower, the eldest daughter of George Granville, first duke of Sutherland, K.G. His father having succeeded to the title and estates of the dukedom of Norfolk on the death, on 16 Dec. 1815, of his cousin Charles, the eleventh duke, he, as heir, became known as the Earl of Arundel and Surrey. The Act of Catholic Emancipation having been passed in April 1829, the earl was the first Roman catholic since the Reformation to take the oaths and his seat in the House of Commons. He sat as M.P. for Horsham from 1829 to 1832, Hurst, the sitting member, having resigned in 1829 to afford him the opportunity. He was elected in 1832, in 1835, and in 1837 as member for the western division of Sussex. In politics he was a staunch whig. From July 1837 to June 1841 he was treasurer of the queen's household in Lord Melbourne's ministry, being admitted to the privy council on his appointment; and from July to September 1841 was captain of the yeomen of the guard, resigning that office with Lord Melbourne's ministry. In August 1841 he was summoned to the House of Peers as Baron Maltravers. Upon his father's death, on 16 March 1842, he succeeded to the dukedom, and was master of the horse from July 1846 until February 1852, during the administration of Lord John Russell. On 4 May 1848 he was created a knight of the Garter; and, under the Earl of Aberdeen's ministry, was lord steward of the household (4 Jan. 1853 to 10 Jan. 1854). He supported Lord John Russell's Ecclesiastical Titles Bill, and was little more than a catholic in name, but when on his deathbed was reconciled to the Roman catholic religion. He died at Arundel Castle on 18 Feb. 1856, and was buried in the family vault in the parish church on 26 Feb. Canon Tierney attended him on his deathbed. The duke was at one time president of the Royal Botanic Society. Sir George Hayter painted his portrait.
Norfolk had three sons, Henry Granville Fitzalan Howard [q.v.], his heir and successor, Edward George Fitzalan Howard [q.v.], afterwards Baron Howard of Glossop, and Lord Bernard Thomas Howard, born 30 Dec. 1825, who died during his travels in the East at Cairo 21 Dec. 1846; and two daughters, Lady Mary Charlotte, married in 1849 to Thomas Henry, fourth lord Foley, and Lady Adeliza Matilda, married in October 1855 to Lord George John Manners, third son of the fifth Duke of Rutland.
[Doyle's Official Baronage, ii. 603; Times, 19 Feb. 1856; Gent. Mag. April 1856, p.419; Annual Register for 1856, p. 242.]
HOWARD, HENRY EDWARD JOHN, D.D. (1795–1868), divine, youngest child of Frederick Howard, fifth earl of Carlisle [q. v.], and brother of George Howard, sixth earl of Carlisle [q. v.], was born at Castle Howard, Yorkshire, on 14 Dec. 1795, and entered at Eton College in 1805. He matriculated from Christ Church, Oxford, on 23 May 1814, graduated B.A. 1818, M.A. 1822, B.D. 1834, and D.D. 1838. In 1820 he was ordained deacon and priest, and in 1822 appointed succentor of York Cathedral, with the prebendal stall of Holme attached. He became dean of Lichfield and rector of Tatenhill, Staffordshire (a preferment worth 1,524l. a year with a residence), on 27 Nov. 1833, and in the following year he also obtained the rectory of Donington, Shropshire, worth 1,000l. per annum. From 1822 to 1833 he held the livings of Slingsby and Sutton-on-the-Forest, Yorkshire. He was a finished scholar and an eloquent preacher. He took a prominent part in, and contributed largely to, the restoration of Lichfield Cathedral. The establishment of the Lichfield Diocesan Training School, afterwards united to that at Saltley, as well as of the Theological College, owed much to his efforts. He died, after many years of physical infirmity, at Donington rectory on 8 Oct. 1868. He married, 13 July 1824, Henrietta Elizabeth, sixth daughter of Ichabod Wright of Mapperley Hall, Nottinghamshire, by whom he had five sons and five daughters.
Howard was the author of: 1. Translations from Claudian, 1823. 2. 'Scripture History in Familiar Lectures. The Old Testament,' 1840, being vol. ii. of the 'Englishman's Library.' 3. 'Scripture History. The New Testament,' 1840, being vol. xiv. of the 'Englishman's Library.' 4. 'The Rape of Proserpine. The Phoenix and the Nile,' by C. Claudianus, translated 1854. 5. 'The Books of Genesis according to the Version of the LXX,' translated, with notes, 1855. 6. 'The Books of Exodus and Leviticus according to the Versions of the LXX,' trans-