published in 1891–2. In the library of the Royal College of Music are old manuscript copies of twenty-six madrigals by Kirbye, which include nine that are not found in his printed works. They are all imperfect except the seven four-part madrigals, of which only one is unpublished. In the Bodleian Library (MS. Mus. f. 16–19 and 20–4) are seven unpublished five-part madrigals and two four-part motets, all imperfect. In the library of Christ Church, Oxford, are copies of three madrigals from the ‘First Set of Madrigals,’ with different words.
[Registers of St. Mary's, Bury St. Edmunds, and of Bradfield St. George, near Bury St. Edmunds; Bury St. Edmunds Wills, Liber Colman, 1631–5, fol. 368; Grove's Dict. of Music, ii. 59; Burney's Hist. of Music, iii. 123; Mus. Ant. Society's edition of Este's Whole Book of Psalms; works mentioned above; the present writer's edition of the First Set of Madrigals.]
KIRK. [See also Kirker]
KIRK, JOHN (1724?-1778?), medallist, was probably bom about 1724 (cf. Hawkins, Med. Illustr. ii. 559-60), He became (about 1740?) the pupil of James Anthony Dassier [q. v.], and from about 1740 till 1776 produced a large number of medals signed kirk or i. kirk. He was a medallist of moderate ability. In 1745 Kirk was living in St. Paul's Churchyard, London (ib. ii. 603). In 1762 and 1763 he received premiums from the Society of Arts. He was a member of the Incorporated Society of Artists, and exhibited medals of the royal family, &c., in 1773-5-6. Redgrave states that Kirk died in London on 27 Nov. 1776; but several medals in the British Museum (cf. Numistic Chronicle, 1890, p. 54, No. 7) signed by Kirk bear the date 1778, and are almost conclusive evidence that he was Mill alive in that year. Kirk's principal medals are:
- Bust of George II (no reverse), signed 'I. Kirk F. ætate 18.' 1740(?)
- Sir John Barnard, circ. 1744.
- Recapture of Prague, 1744.
- Loyal Association Medal, 1745.
- Medals relating to the Rebellion of '45, 1745-6.
- Tuesday Club of Annapolis, 1746.
- Counters with heads of the Royal Family, 1746.
- William, Prince of Orange, 1746.
- Peace of Aix-la-Chapelle, 1749.
- Free British Fishery Society, 1751.
- Louisburg taken (from design by Cipriani), 1758.
- Battle of Minden, 1759.
- Lord-chancellor Camden, 1766.
- Series of thirteen medalets given away to subscribers to the 'Sentimental Magarine,' 1773-5 (Gent. Mag. 1797, pp. 469, 471).
- Duke of Athol, 1774.
- Lord Balhurst (Six Clerks Office), 1776.
- Death of Lord Chatham, 1778.
- Lord Chesterfield, 1778.
Certain medals of 1745 and 1746 were made and signed by John Kirk in conjunction with A. Kirk (Hawkins, ii. 606, 608, 613; cf. 614). The editors of the 'Medallic Illustrations' conjecture (ii. 729) that this A. Kirk was a brother of John, and suppose that he died in 1761, apparently assuming that he was identical with the 'Mr. Kirk, senr.,' whose death in St. Paul's Churchyard is recorded in the 'Gentleman's Magazine' (1761, p. 539) as having taken place on 19 Nov. 1761.
(Hawkins's Medalic Illustrations, ed. Franks and Groeber, ii. 729; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists of Engl. School; Kirk's Medals in Brit. Mus.]
KIRK, JOHN, D.D. (1760-1851), catholic divine and antiquary, son of William Kirk and his wife Mary Fielding, was born at Rochley, near Acton Burnell, Shropshire, on 13 April 1760, and at ten years of age was sent to Sedgley Park school, Staffordshire. He was admitted into the English College at Rome on 5 June 1773, a few months before the suppression of the Society of Jesus by Clement XIV. He was thus the last scholar received at the college by the Jesuits who had had the conduct of it, by favour of the holy see, for 193 years (Foley, Records, vi. 604). He was ordained priest on 18 Dec. 1784. Returning to England in August 1785, his first mission was at Aldenham Hall, Shropshire, in the family of Sir Richard Acton. In 1786 he became chaplain at Sedgley Park school, and as vice-president assisted the Rev. Thomas Southworth, whom he succeeded as president in 1793. He had previously removed to the small mission at Pipehill, near Lichfield, and he had had charge of the congregation at Tamworth. In July 1797 he left Sedgley to become chaplain and private secretary to Dr. Charles Berington [q. v.], vicar apostolic of the midland district, ana after the bishop's sudden death (8 June 1798) he remained at the episcopal residence at Longbirch till the appointment of Dr. Gregory Stapleton to the vicariate in 1801. He then removed to Lichfield, where a chapel built by him was opened on 11 Nov. 1803; afterwards enlarged, it was converted in 1834 into the little Norman church of St. Cross. He also erected chapels at Hopwas, near Tamworth, and in Tamworth itself. By diploma dated 9 Nov. 1641, Pope Gregory XVI conferred upon him the degree of D.D. He died at Lichfield 21 Dec. 1851, aged 90.
Monsignor Weedall says of Kirk: 'He formed a perfect specimen of the olden times,