[Douglas's Peerage of Scotland (Wood), ii. 140.]
minster Abbey. A full-length portrait of Lothian, attributed to Scougal, is at Newbattle. He was succeeded by his son William, and left four daughters: Anne, married to Alexander, seventh earl of Home; Jean, married to William, fifth lord Cranston; Elizabeth, married to George, twelfth lord Ross; and Mary, married to Alexander Hamilton of Ballincrief.
KERR, WILLIAM HENRY, fourth Marquis of Lothian (d. 1775), the elder son of William, third marquis, and Margaret Nicholson of Kempney, was a captain in the first regiment of foot-guards in 1741. He acted as aide-de-camp to the Duke of Cumberland at Fontenoy, 30 April 1745, when he was severely wounded by a shot in the head. He also attended the duke at Culloden, having command there of the cavalry on the extreme left wing of the royal army, after which he was placed for a short time in charge of all the forces on the east of Scotland. In December 1746 he again accompanied the duke to the continent. On the death of his granduncle, Lord Mark Kerr, he was promoted to be colonel of his regiment, the 11th dragoons, and was, as lieutenant-general, with the duke in his expedition to the east coast of France in 1758. He was styled Lord Jedburgh until his marriage in 1735, when he assumed the title of Earl of Ancrum. He represented Richmond in parliament in 1747, and was reelected by the same constituency in 1754 and 1761, but resigned in 1763. He succeeded as fourth Marquis of Lothian on his father's death on 28 July 1767. In 1768 he was chosen one of the sixteen representative peers of Scot1and, and on the same day, 26 Oct., was invested as a knight of the Thistle at St. James's Palace. He was promoted to the rank of general in the army in 1770, and died at Bath on 12 April 1775. He married in 1735 Caroline d'Arcy, only daughter of Robert, third earl of Holderness. The marchioness died in October 1778. By her Lothian left a son and successor, William John, fifth marquis, and two daughters, Louisa, married to Lord George Henry Lennox, and Willielmina Emilia, married to John Macleod, colonel R.A.[Douglas's Peerage of Scotland (Wood), ii. 141.]
KERRICH, THOMAS (1748-1828), librarian of the university of Cambridge, born 4 Feb. 1748, was son of Samuel Kerrich,D.D., vicar of Dersingham and rector of Wolferton and West Newton, Norfolk, by his second wife, Barbara, elder daughter of Matthew Postlethwayt, archdeacon of Norwich. He was educated at Magdalene College, Cambridge, graduated B.A. in 1771 as second senior optime, and was elected one of Worts's travelling bachelors. Kerrich was accompanied in his travels by a pupil, John Pettiward, fellow-commoner of Trinity, and journeyed through France, the Low Countries, and Italy, residing at Paris for six months and at Rome for two years. At Antwerp the Academy of Painting awarded to him a silver medal for the best drawing. During his tenure of the travelling fellowship he devoted most of his time to artistic pursuits and antiquarian research, and made a fine collection of drawings from old monuments.
Returning to Cambridge he proceeded M. A. in 1775, and about the same time was elected a fellow of his college. In 1784 he was presented to the vicarage of Dersingham, which had previously been held by his father; and to the vicarage of Hemisby, Norfolk, in 1786. In 1793 he served the university office of taxor. On 21 Sept. 1797 he was elected principal librarian of the university on the death of Dr. Richard Farmer [q. v.] (Cooper, Annals of Cambridge, iv. 460). In the same year he was elected a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London. He was collated to a prebend in the church of Lincoln in 1798, and to one in the church of Wells in 1812 (Le Neve, Fasti, ed. Hardy, i. 197, 200, ii. 215). He died at his residence in Free School Lane, Cambridge, on 10 May 1828.
He married Sophia, fourth daughter of Richard Hnyles, M.D., of Cambridge. By that lady, who died on 23 July 1835, he had one son and two daughters, one of whom, Frances Margaretta, became the wife of the Rev. Charles Henry Hartshorne [q. v.], and died 3 Jan. 1892. The son, Richard Edward Kerrich, M. A., of Christ's College, Cambridge, died in 1872.
To great antiquarian and architectural knowledge Kerrich united the most accurate skill as a painter and a draughtsman. He was also a miniature-painter and a practised etcher, contributing some highly finished drawings to Gough's 'Sepulchral Monuments.' He was one of the earliest lithographers, and executed the portraits of Henry VI and Richard III for Fenn's 'Paston Letters.' His very curious collection of early royal portraits he bequeathed to the Society of Antiquaries. A list of them is printed in Nichols's 'Illustrations of Literature,' vi. 818, and a catalogue raisonn6 by Mr. G. Scharf in the 'Fine Arts Quarterly 'Review'for 1865. To the British Museum he bequeathed his extensive manuscript collections and sketches in illus-