tain that the bull of Pope John XXII, appointing his successor, is dated 'the Kalends of August 1328.'
Lamberton was a typical priest-politician, whose patriotism so far exceeded his piety that he violated the most solemn oaths for the purpose of aiding in the liberation of his country. Besides completing the cathedral of St. Andrews, he repaired the castle there, and built, it is said, no less than ten episcopal residences, and reconstructed ten churches within his diocese.
[J. F. S. Gordon's Scotichronicon. i. 179-89; Calendar of Documents relating to Scotland, vols. ii. iii.; Gough's Scotland in 1298; Lyon's History of St. Andrews; Rymer's Fœdera; Hist. MSS. Comm. 4th and 9th Reps.; Registrum Prior. S. Andree.]
LAMBORN, PETER SPENDELOWE (1722–1774), engraver and miniature-painter, born at Cambridge in 1722, was son of John Lamborn (d. 1763), a watchmaker, and Elizabeth Susanna Spendelowe, his second wife. Lamborn came to London and studied engraving under Isaac Basire [q. v.], but returned to practise at Cambridge, where he obtained some note as an engraver, He also showed considerable skill as a ministure-painter. Lamborn was a member of the Incorporated Society of Artists, and signed their declaration roll in 1765; he exhibited with them first in 1764, sending a miniature of a lady and a drawing of the church at St. Neot's Huntingdonshire. He continued to exhibit there annually up to his death. His architectural drawings were much esteemed. Lamborn engraved two sets of views of university buildings in Cambridge, a large view of the Angel Hill at Bury St. Edmunds (after John Kendall), and some landscapes after Poelenburg and Jan Both. He also engraved the plates to Sandby's edition of 'Juvenal' (1763), Bentham's 'History of Ely Cathedral (1771), and Martyn and Lettice's 'Antiquities of Herculaneum' (1773). He etched a few portraits, including those of Samuel Johnson (drawn from life), Oliver Cromwell (from the picture by Samuel Cooper at Sidney Sussex College), John Ives, F.R.S. Thomas Martin, F.R.S., Dr. Richard Walker, vice-master of Trinity College (after D. Heins), The Rev. Charles Barnwell, and Richard Penderell; impressions of all these etchings are in the print room at the British Museum. Lamborn married, on 6 Jan. 1762, Mary, daughter of Hitch Wale, and granddaughter Wale of Little Shelford, Cambridgeshire, by whom he had three sons and one daughter. The latter married James was mother of James Lamborn Cock, music publisher, of New Bond Street, London. Lamborn died at Cambridge on 5 Nov. 1771. A miniature portrait of him is in the possession of Mrs. Lamborn Cock.
[Dodd's manuscript History of English Engravers (Brit Mus. Addit. MSS. 33402); Willis and Clark's Architectural Hist. of the University of Cambridge; Catalogue of the Society of Artists; information kindly supplied by Mrs. Lamborn Cock.]
LAMBORN, REGINALD, D.D. (fl. 1363), astronomer, studied under the astronomers William Rede and John Aschendon, at Merton College, where he became B.D. In 1363 and 1367 he was a monk in the Benedictine monastery of Eynaham, Oxfordshire; in 1376 he appears as D.D. and monk of St. Marr, York. Some time after this he entered the Franciscan order at Oxford, and died at Northampton. Two letters of his on astronomical subjects are extant in manuscript; the first, written in 1363-4, and addressed to John London, treats of 'the signification of the eclipses of the moon in the months of March and September of the present year;' the second, written in 1367, probably to William Rede, deals with 'the conjunctions of Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars, with a prognostication of the evils probably arising there-from in the years 1368 to 1374.'
[Bodl. MS. Digby, 176, ff. 40, 56; Mon. Francisc. i. 543; Tanner's Bibliotheca.]
LAMBTON, JOHN (1710–1794), general, born 26 July 1710, was fourth son of Ralph Lambton and his wife, Dorothy, daughter of Jobn Hedworth of Harraton, Durhum. William Lambton (d. 1724) was his uncle. His elder brothers were Henry Lambton, M.P. Ear Durham (d. 1761), and Major-general Hedworth Lambton (d. 1758), who was an officer in the Coldstream guards from 1723 to 1753, and in 1755 raised the 52nd. originnlly 54th, foot at Coventry (cf. Moorsom, Hist. 52nd Light Infantry). John was appointed ensign in the Coldstream guards l2 Oct. 1732, became lieutenant in 1739, was regimental quartermaster from February 1742 to January 1746, and became captain and lieutenant-colonel 21 Jan. 1746. On 28 April 1758 he was appointed colonel of the 68th foot (now lst Durham light infantry), then made a separate regiment. It had been raised two years previously as a second battalion 23rd royal Welsh fusiliers, but had been chiefly recruited in Durham, a local connection since maintained. Lambton commanded the regiment at the attack on St. Malo. When county titles were bestowed on line regiments in 1782, it was styled the 'Durham' regiment. Lambton, who became a full general, retained the colonelcy until his death. He succeeded to