Expedition to Africa, and the subsequently Adventures of the Author [R. Lander],' London. 1830, 2 vols. 12mo.
At the instance of Lord Bathurst (1762-1834) [q.v.] Lander undertook a fresh expedition to explore the course and termination of the Niger. His wife was to receive 100l. a year from movement during his absence, and Lander himself was promised a gratuity of one hundred guineas on his return. Accompanied by his younger brother, John Lander (l807-1839) [q.v.], he left Portsmouth 9 Jan. l830, and reached Cape Coast Castle on 22 Feb. Proceeding thence to Accra and Bagádry, the travellers on 17 June reached Boussa (Busea), a plan on the left bank of the Niger, where Mango Park met his fate. Thence they ascended the stream about one hundred miles to Yacorie, the extreme point reached by their expedition. Returning to Boussa on 2 Aug. 1830, the travellers commenced the descent of the tortuous stream in canoes, in utter ignorance whither it would carry them. At a place called Kerrie they were plundered and cruelly maltreated by the natives. At Eboe (Ibo) the king made them prisoners, and demanded a heavy ransom, which was only obtained after long delay. Eventually they penetrated the forest-clad delta to the mouth of the Nun branch in the Bight of Blafra, thus Batting at rest the question of the course and outlet of the great river Quorra (the Arabic name of the Niger river), 'the Nile of the Negros' (cf. Johnston, Dict. of Geogr. under 'Niger'). On 1 Dec 1830 the brothers were put ashore at Fernando Po, and, after visiting Rio Taneiro on their way, arrived home in July 1831. They were greeted with much enthusiasm. Richard Lander received the royal award of a gold medal, or an equivalent in money, placed at the disposal of the newly formed Royal Geographical Society of London, of which he thus became the first gold medallst. John Murray, the publisher, offered the brothers one thousand guineas for their journals, which, edited by Lieutenant (afterwards Commander) Alex. Bridport Becher, R.N.,editor of the 'Nautical Magazine,' were published under the title of 'Journal of an Expedition to explore the Course and Termination of the Niger,' London, 1832, 3 vols. 12mo. The work was included, as part xxviii., in the 'Family Library.' Translations have appeared in Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Swedish.
Early in 1832 some merchants at Liverpool formed themselves into an association with the object of sending out an expedition, under the guidance of Ricbard Lander, to ascend the Niger and open up trade with the countries of Central Africa. The expedition was furnished with two steamers, one named the Quorra, of 145 tons harden and 50 horsepower; the other Alburka (signifying in Arabic 'The Blessing'), built of iron. of 55 tons burden. They were to be accompanied to the west coast by a brig carrying coal and goods for barter. Lander started with the little armament from Milford Haven on 25 July, and reached Cape Coast Castle, after many disasters, 7 Oct. 1832. Illnesses and mishaps innumerable delayed the progress of affairs ; but in the end the steamer ascended the river for a considerable part of its course, afterwards returning to Fernando Po for fresh supplies of cowries, &c. Leaving the steamers in charge of Surgeon Oldfleld, Lander then returned to the Nun mouth, and thence began reascending the river in canoes. At a place called Ingiamma the canoes were fired upon and pursued some distance down stream by the Brass River natives. Lander, who had great faith in and influence with the natives generally, received a musket-ball in the thigh, which could not be extracted. He was removed to Fernando Po, and was carefully attended in the house of the commandant. Colonel Nicolls; but mortification set in suddenly, and he died (according to different statements) on 2 or 7 Feb. 1834. He was buried in the Clarenre cemetery, Fernando Po. A monument was placed by his widow and daughter, by permission, in the royal chapel of the Savoy, London, but was destroyed by the fire of 7 July 1834. It has now been replaced by a stained-glass memorial window, put up by the Royal Geographical Society. A Doric memorial shaft in Lemon Street, Truro, was erected by public subscription, and dedicated with some ceremony in 1831, but fell down through defective workmanship the year after. It now bears a statue of Lander by the Cornish sculptor, Nevill Northey Burnard [q.v.] Lander's portrait by William Brockedon [q. v.], which has been engraved by C. Turner hangs in the council-room of the Roval Geographical Society. A government pension, of 70l. a year was given to his widow, and gratuity of 80l. to his daughter. The story of Lander's last expedition is told in 'Narrative of an Expedition into the Interior of Africa in Steamers,' in 1832, 1833, 1834.... By Macgregor Laird and R. A. K. Oldfield, the surviving officers of the Expedition,' London 1835.
In person Lander was very short and fair. His journals show that he possessed considerable intellectual powers, as well a muscular strength and an iron constitution and the passive courage which is so essential a qualification in an African traveller. His manners were mild, unobtrusive, and pleas-