E L Y.
��Until the territorial alterations were made in this diocese, pursuant to the various orders in council based on the recommendations of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, this see contained all Cambridgeshire, except Iselham, which belonged to the see of Roch- ester ; and Ashley, Burwell, Cheveley, Chipenham, Fordham, Kirtling alias Catlidge, Kennet Landwade, Newmarket All Saints, Outwell, Snailwell, Soham cum Barway Capella, Sylverley, Upwell cum Welney Capella, Wicken, and Woodyton, in the diocese of Norwich. It had also one parish, Emneth, in the county of Norfolk.
In this diocese there were a dean, archdeacon of Ely, eight prebendaries, &c.
By an order in council dated 19th April 1837, gazetted 30th May 1837, the archdeaconry of Bedford and part of the archdeaconry of Huntingdon were transferred from the diocese of Lincoln to that of Ely, and part of the archdeaconry of Sudbury from the diocese of Nor- wich was also transferred to Ely; and by another order in council dated 10th April 1839, gazetted 23rd April 1839, certain other parishes were transferred from the diocese of Lincoln to that of Ely.
The right of appointing the archdeacons of Bedford, Huntingdon, and Sudbury was by the first mentioned order in council vested in the bishop of Ely and his successors bishops of Ely for ever.