��1 HIS see, which was formerly part of Lincoln diocese, was created in 1541, by king Henry VIII, out of the possessions of the dissolved abbey of Peterborough 1 ; and before the alterations made in it by the Ecclesi- astical Commissioners, extended only over the counties of Northampton and Rutland-. In 1 837 the whole county of Leicester, forming the archdeaconry of Lei- cester, in the diocese of Lincoln, was added to Peter- borough. The present members of the cathedral are the dean, the archdeacons of Northampton and Lei- cester, six prebendaries or major canons, and certain honorary canons.
BISHOPS. 1541 Johx Chambers, S.T.P., was the last abbot of Peter-
33 H.Yin, borough and the first bishop of the new see; the tem- poralities whereof were delivered to him 4th Sept. 154 1 ;! . The archbishop was desired to consecrate him by letter dated 4th Sept. 4 , and he was consecrated 23rd Oct. following *. He died in Feb. 1555 6 6 , and was buried in his cathedral 7 . His will, dated 3 1 st Dec. 1554, was proved 3rd Dec. 1556. The conge d'elire, vice John Chambers, is dated 16th Dec. 1556 H . J 557 David Pole or Poole, LL.D., archdeacon of Derby and
3&4P.&M. Salop, had the custody of the temporalities, as bishop elect 9 , delivered to him 24th Dec. 1556 10 . He was
1 The charter of erection is bishop's hands 18th April 1556. dated 4th Sept. 1541. Pat. 33 Reg. Pole.
Hen. VIII. p. 3. m. 23. 7 5th March.
2 Order in council, dated 21st 8 Pat. 3 & 4 Phil. & Mar. p. 6. Aug. 1837. m. 21.
3 Pat. 33 Hen. VIII. p. 3. m.23. 9 He was provided to this see
4 Ibid. m. 22. by pope Paul IV. 24th March
5 Reg. Cranmer, f. 270. I 55^-
6 The spiritualities, after his 10 Pat. 3 & 4 Phil. & Mar. p. 6. death, were taken into the arch- m. 21.