Nevada and the " Sequoia/' and other coniferous forests of Cali- fomia ; besides which various pub- lic parks of great extent and beauty, and private horticultural establish- ments were visited. In respect of Kew, the results obtained were a large collection of seeds and museum sx)ecimen8, and a herba- rium of about a thousand species, together with notes on the distribu- tion of the North American trees in particular, as also some new cor- respondents in parts of the country whence much novelty is to be ob- tained. The University of Dublin conferred on him the honorary de- gree of LL.D. in 1878. Dr. Hooker was elected President of the Royal Society in 1873, and resigned the office in December, 1878, his suc- cessor being Mr. Spottiswoode. The Pounders' Medal of the Royal Geographical Society was awarded to Sir Joseph Hooker "for his eminent services in scientific geo- graphy " J and in 1883 the Society of Arts presented to him their Albert Medal for the services he has rendered to the arts, manufac- tures, and commerce by promoting an accurate knowledge of the floras and economic vegetable products of the several colonies and dependen- cies of the Empire. Sir Joseph is a member of various learned so- cieties, and a corresponding mem- ber of the Institute of Prance. His works are: — "Botany of the Antarctic Voyage," 6 vols., 4to, 1847-1860 J " Rhododendrons of the Sikkim-Himalaya," 1849-51 ; " Himalayan Journals," 2 vols., 8vo, 1854 ; " Genera Plantanim," 1862, et seq.j "The Student's Plora of the British Islands," 1870; "The Plora of British India," 1874; "Journal of a Tour in Morocco and the Great Atlas," 1878. He married first, in 1851, Prances Harriet, eldest diaughter of the Rev. J. S. Henslow, Professor of Botany at Cambridge (she died 1874) ; secondly, on August 24, 1876, Hyacinth, only daughter of
the Rev. William S. Symonds, P.G.S., and widow of Sir William Jardine, Bart.
HOPE, Alexander Jaxes Bb- BESFOBD Bbresford, M.P., LL.D., youngest son of the late Thomas Hope, Esq., of Deepdene, Surrey (author of " Anastasius "), by Louisa Beresf ord, daughter of Lord Decies, Archbishop of Tuam, who married as her second husband the late Viscount Beresford, G.C.B., bom in 1820, was educated at Harrow and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1841. He was one of the earliest members and president of the Cambridge Camden (afterwards the Eoclesio- logical) Society, and has taken an active part in the Church movement, and in artistic and architectural questions, as an avowed partisan of the Gothic side. He purchased in 1844 the ancient buildings of St. Aug^ustine's Abbey, Canterbury, as a college for missionary clergy, and was President of the Royal Insti- tute of British Architects from 1865 to 1867. He was one of the members for Maidstone from 1841 till 1852, when he retired, but was re-elected for that borough in March, 1857. In 1859 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Uni- versity of Cambridge, was defeated at Stoke-upon-Trent in 1862, and was elected for that borough in July, 1865. In 1868 he was elected for the University of Cambridge, which he still represents. He has always acted as an independent Conservative. In 1881 the Univer- sity of Dublin conferred on him the honorary degree of LL.D. Mr. Beresford Hope is the author of "Letters on Church Matters, by D. C. L.j" "The English Cathe- dral of the ' Nineteenth Cen- tury,'" "Worship in the Chxirch of England," 1874 ; " Strictly Tied Up," a novel, 1880; "The Brandreths," a novel, 1882; and of numerous pamphlets, papers, and articles. He married, in 1842, the Lady Mildred Cecil, daughter