wife Maud in 1190. That of St. Thomas by Thomas Haling, clerk, William Swan, clerk, John Goddard, and Richard Long, among whom the name of Elys does not appear. Concerning this foundation Tanner refers to "Pat. 16 Rich. II, p. 1, m. 32," (which date would be A.D. 1393), and another temp. K. Edward IV. (Monast VI, 764.)
281. Sarre.—Was united to St. Nicholas (date not given) after which the church was suffered to decay, and no vestige now remains. (Hasted.) It may have existed in 1526, being named in (Val. Eccl.) under the estimation of the possessions of Leeds priory.
282. Seale.—A church of chancel, nave, south aisle with chancel and porch, and square west tower with battlements and stair turret. A perfectly plain tiebeam supplies the place of a chancel arch. The tiebeams of the nave, with wall-pieces resting on corbels, are moulded. Of the three piers between the nave and the aisle two, of which one is engaged in the western wall, arc E.E., the third is Perp. The south door is Dec. Of the windows some, in the north side, are Dec., some Perp., some debased Perp. Those of the tower are Perp. The outer wall is of rubble masonry, the southern containing the frame of a small pointed-arched window. South of the south chancel is a vestry of some antiquity. The porch is Perp. By the side of the entrance of the porch is a stoup, and above the entrance a niche, both mutilated. Brass, in the chancel, Will, de Bryene, 1395, in armour, of which the joints are not marked. Scale ranks only as a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Kemsing, though it has vastly outgrown its original condition, the population of the parish exceeding 1600. (Clergy List.)
283. Seasalter.—"In eodem Borowart Lest jacet parvum burgum, nomine Seseltre, quod proprie pertinet coquinse archiepiscopi. In the same Last of Borowart lies a small borough, by name Seseltre, which properly belongs to the archbishop's kitchen." (D. B.) A great change must have taken place, since this, now, very insignificant place was styled a borough in 1086.—After a violent storm, 1 January, 1779, on the seashore, about half a mile west from the present church, were discovered the stone foundations of a large building, lying due east- and west, the supposed remains of the ancient church of Seasalter. Many human bones were likewise uncovered at the same time. (Hasted.)
284. Sellinge.—There is no clue, whereby to ascertain the locality of the second Domesday church. That of Smeeth appears