Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/277
NOTES TO SUSSEX.
79. Duncton.—Was a chapel of ease to Petworth till A.D. 1692, when it was made parochial by Act of Parliament. In 1805 the remains of a hypocaust were uncovered in a part of this parish. (Horsfield's Suss. II, 170.)
80. Durrington.—Portions of the exterior walls of this church yet stand in a small grass field near the hamlet of the name, and the ground-plan of the building may be clearly traced, proving it to have comprised only chancel, and nave, with a south porch. In the fragment of the south wall of the chancel a very small round-headed window appears, but filled up; and the mortar in this fragment is extremely hard. Sufficient of the north wall of the nave exists to show, that the windows were long and pointed, and a little of the inner hood moulding is still visible. Also the mortar of this portion is different from and inferior to that of the chancel; whence it may be inferred, that the latter was Norm., probably early, while the former was rebuilt in the E.E. period. The walls were of flint with stone dressings, chalk having been much used in the interior. Not only is the church desecrated and in ruins, but the name no longer appears in official documents, Durrington being now comprehended in the parish of West Tarring. Cartwright adduces evidence to the effect, that Durrington was never regarded as more than a chapelry. He states the dimensions of the old building to be seventy-five feet by twenty-one.
81. Eartham.—It appears not quite certain, whether the Ertham of the (Nonæ Roll) signifies this place or Hardham. It is there styled "prebenda parochialis," and the Chancellor of Chichester received thence an annual portion of tithes of some kind. Dallaway is probably right in deeming Eartham to be intended.
82. Easebourne.—(A.D. 1291) "Ecclia de Eseborne cum capella:" which latter is likely to have been Midhurst, that place being omitted otherwise. In (Val. Eccl.) Easebourne is named together with the chapels of Midhurst, Earnhurst, Lodsworth, and Tadham. See the Note on Midhurst. The church contains the effigy of a knight carved in oak. (Horsfield's Suss. II, 99.) A Benedictine nunnery or priory was founded here by Sir John Bohun 3 temp. K. Henry III, for five or six nuns. (Monast. IV, 423.) Part of the priory of Easebourne remains, the refectory being now a barn. (Dallaway.) "Priorissa de Esburne, que est rector ibidem. The Prioress of