7. Learn to seek the food of the soul before seeking that of the body.
Thus Christ before feeding the multitude “spake unto them of the kingdom of God” (Luke), “began to teach them many things” (Mark).
8. Learn that fasting precedes festival, Lent goes before Easter.
So now Christ retired to the wilderness, as “the Jews’ passover was nigh at hand; and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves” (John xi. 55.)
9. Learn moderation and frugality in diet.
Christ performed the miracle of feeding five thousand, not with luxuries, but with plain and wholesome food, to teach us not to care about luxurious living, but to be content with simple diet.
10. Learn that there should be order in the Church.
For the people sat not down till commanded, and then, not in confusion, but in ranks.
11. Learn to avoid waste, and what is superfluous learn to give to the poor.
This may be gathered from the fragments being collected by the Apostles at Christ’s express command.
12. Learn to despise worldly honours.
For when the multitude would have taken Jesus by force, and made Him a king—as we read in to-day’s Gospel—He fled from them into a high mountain apart.