out by him surrounded and captured in the early morning a Confederate outpost, and proceeded, one in the direction of Chancellorsville, the other towards the United States ford. The former met little resistance, but the latter reported that after driving the enemy several miles, they were found drawn up in line of battle, which caused General Meade to direct a division under Sykes to proceed to United States ford. Pausing on Hunting Run to learn the effect of Sykes' move, he received word from Devin that the road to Chancellorsville was open, and he resumed the march, reaching Chancellorsville at 11 A. M., April 30th, distant from Fredericksburg ten miles.
Chancellorsville appears to have been the Mecca of the Union army. It was undoubtedly so regarded by General Hooker. We made it our Mecca, when the writer with some friends on a certain day in the last of August, 1911, drew rein before the only house in sight, and asked permission to water our horses, and eat our luncheon under the shade in the yard. The house, which is of brick, must have been a pretentious one in its day for that locality.We did not enter, as the ladies who came to the door reported members of the family sick with a low fever, but the building which had been injured by fire is now restored, and presents the same appearance as it did in 1863. We took our luncheon on the steps of the porch, just by the tall pillar against which General Hooker was leaning on the 3d of May when the pillar was struck by a shot and the General injured by the concussion; and as we drank the steaming hot tea prepared for us by the fair equestrienne of the party, we faced the plain and battlefield of Chancellorsville. The open plain in front just across the road looking south appears smaller than it did in 1863, and is more overgrown with bushes, but on all sides is fringed by the same woods. Far off to the South and beyond the range of vision is Wellford's or Catherine Furnace. A little to the west but not so far, although obscured by trees, is Hazel Grove, while around to the right and a short distance south of the road is Fairview where there was an old burying ground. The road immediately in our front is the old turnpike, but usually