Page:The Dictionary of Australasian Biography.djvu/353
DICTIONARY OF AUSTRALASIAN BIOGRAPHY.
tion Convention held in Sydney in March 1891. In Feb. 1892 Mr. Munro resigned the premiership to Mr. Shiels, having accepted the post of Agent-General for Victoria in London, in succession to Sir Graham Berry. He arrived in London in April 1892, and assumed the duties of his present office on the 13th of that month.
Murdoch, William Lloyd, the well-known cricketer, was born in Victoria, but having gone to New South Wales (where he was admitted a solicitor) at an early age, he played for the latter colony in all intercolonial matches. In the latter he made the best batting average, and also the highest individual score of 321 runs. From 1875 to 1884 he a played in eleven intercolonial matches, and in twenty innings, without once carrying out his bat, secured the magnificent average of 46.85. He is regarded as the W. G. Grace of Australia, and at one time was a fine wicket-keeper, but later on he generally fielded at point. He has four times captained representative Australian elevens in England, namely, in 1880, 1882, 1884, and 1890. Mr. Murdoch, who may now be said to have retired, is living in England. During the previous few years he resided in Melbourne, and married a daughter of the well-known mining millionaire Mr. J. B. Watson.
Murphy, The Most Rev. Daniel, D.D., Archbishop of Hobart, Tasmania, son of Michael Murphy and Mary his wife, was born at Belmont, county Cork, Ireland, on the day of the battle of Waterloo, June 18th, 1815. He received his education at Maynooth College, where he was ordained priest in 1838, and at once volunteered for the foreign missions in India, proceeding with Bishop Carew to Madras in 1845. Subsequently he was appointed coadjutor to Bishop Fennelly, successor to Archbishop Carew, translated to Calcutta, and as consecrated by the Most Rev. Dr. Murphy, Bishop of Cork, in Oct. 1846, in the parish church of Kinsale, of which his brother was parish priest and vicar foraine. In 1848 Dr. Murphy was appointed bishop to the newly erected Vicariate Apostolic of Hyderabad, Deccan, India. During the Mutiny in 1857 he manifested great prudence, and secured from the Nizam several stands of arms for the boys of the Catholic College, who were drilled in expectation of a mutiny arising in the State. In consequence of failing health, Pope Pius IX. transferred him from India to Tasmania in 1865, appointing him Bishop of Hobart in succession to the late Dr. Willson. He arrived at Hobart in April 1866. He attended the Œcumenical Council at the Vatican in 1869, and paid another visit to Rome from Hobart in 1882. In 1888, on the occasion of the golden jubilee of his priesthood, Hobart was erected into an archbishopric, and he became the first Metropolitan. Cardinal Moran invested him with the Pallium on May 12th, 1889.Murphy, Sir Francis, first Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, Victoria, was the son of Francis D. Murphy, who was for upwards of thirty years head of the South of Ireland Transport of Convicts Department. He was born at Cork in 1809, and after being educated in his native city, entered at Trinity College, Dublin, as a medical student, ultimately being admitted M.R.C.S. of London. In June 1836 Dr. Murphy emigrated to Sydney, N.S.W., and was immediately nominated by the Governor (Sir R. Bourke) to a position on the staff of colonial surgeons. On appointment he proceeded to take charge of a portion of the southern district in the county of Argyle, but soon afterwards being led into agricultural pursuits, he resigned his official position, and finally discontinued practice as a medical man. After leaving the Government service, Dr. Murphy purchased a considerable quantity of land at Argyle, and soon became the largest grain-grower in the district. He married in 1840 Agnes, eldest daughter of Lieutenant David Reid, R.N., of Inverary Park, N.S.W., and in 1847 went to Victoria, where he purchased a station on the Ovens river, in the Beechworth district. Dr. Murphy was returned to the partially elective Legislative Council for the Murray district at the first election which took place after the separation of Victoria from New South Wales. He was for some time Chairman of Committees, and in 1852 he sold his pastoral property and went to reside permanently in Melbourne. In 1853 he was re-elected for the Murray, and resigned the chairmanship of committees to become President of the Central Road Board, which latter position he relinquished in Nov. 1856. He was acting