Page:The Dictionary of Australasian Biography.djvu/403
DICTIONARY OF AUSTRALASIAN BIOGRAPHY.
Hobson and the annexation of New Zealand by England. Very shortly, however, Mr. Revans reverted to his original calling, and issued the first newspaper published in New Zealand. It was called The New Zealand Gazette, and had been issued in London in Sept. 1839. Under Mr. Revans' auspices it was published in New Zealand in April 1840. The plant had been bought in England by subscription amongst the intending colonists, and Mr. Revans occupied the triple position of manager, printer, and editor. He also assisted with his own hands in building the office for the carrying on of the paper and in setting up the press. In No. 20 (August 22nd, 1840) the name of the paper was changed to the New Zealand Gazette and Britannia Spectator, the latter being the name then contemplated for the new settlement. Mr. Revans died in the Wairarapa Valley, N.Z., on July 15th, 1888.
Reville, Right Rev. Stephen, D.D., O.S.A. Coadjutor-Bishop of Sandhurst, Vict., was born in Wexford on May 9th, 1844. He entered the Augustinian order at Callan, Kilkenny, and studied on the Continent, taking the degree of Master in Philosophy and Sacred Theology at Ghent. Soon after his ordination in 1867 he was appointed President of St. Laurence's Seminary, Usher's Quay, Dublin, and he held the office for seven years. He accompanied the first Bishop of Sandhurst (Dr. Crane) to Australia in 1875, and on the failure of that prelate's eyesight, he was appointed Coadjutor-Bishop, having previously held the office of Vicar-General and acted as administrator of the diocese from 1882 during Dr. Crane's absence. He was consecrated on March 29th, 1885.
Reynolds, Most Rev. Christopher Augustine, D.D., Roman Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide, was born in Dublin on July 14th, 1834, and educated at a Carmelite convent near that city. Subsequently he spent two or three years in the Benedictine Monastery of Lublace, in the Papal States. Thence he went to West Australia, staying there about two years, and arriving in 1857 in South Australia, where he was ordained by Bishop Geoghegan in April 1860, and was subsequently stationed in various parts of the colony. On the death of Dr. Shiel, in 1873, he was offered the bishopric of Adelaide, which he accepted. The ceremony of consecration was performed by Archbishop Polding. In 1887 Adelaide became an archiepiscopal see, and Dr. Reynolds received the appointment of archbishop on April 23rd of that year, being invested with the pallium by Cardinal Moran on Sept. 11th following.
Reynolds, Hon. Thomas, M.P., sometime Premier of South Australia, was elected to the mixed Legislative Council of that colony in June 1854, and in 1857 was returned to the first Legislative Assembly, retaining a seat in the Lower House until his death. Mr. Reynolds was Commissioner of Public Works in the Hanson Ministry from June 1857 to Oct. 1858, when he resigned, and was succeeded by Mr. (now Sir) Arthur Blyth. On the defeat of the Hanson Ministry, in May 1860, Mr. Reynolds became Premier of South Australia, and held office, with the portfolio of Treasurer, from May 1860 to Oct. 1861. He was also Treasurer in the Waterhouse Ministry from Oct. 1861 to Feb. 1862, in that of Mr. Dutton from March to Sept. 1865, and in two of Mr. (now Sir) Henry Ayers' Governments—from May 1867 to Sept. 1868, and from October to November respectively of the latter year. He was Commissioner of Public Works in the last Ayers Government from March 1872 to July 1873. Mr. Reynolds was drowned, with his wife and over a hundred other passengers, in the wreck of the Gottenburg, on the Barrier reef in Torres Straits on Feb. 24th, 1875, whilst on his return from a trip to the Northern Territory, where Judge Wearing, another of the victims of the catastrophe, had opened the first circuit court.Reynolds, Hon. William Hunter, M.L.C., son of Thomas Reynolds and Marion (Hunter) his wife, was born at Chatham, Kent, on May 1st, 1822. Mr. Reynolds, who arrived in Otago, N.Z., from London in Jan 1851, was returned to the Provincial Council for Dunedin in 1853 at the first election after the granting of a constitution to the colony. He retained his seat till the provinces were abolished in 1875, and in the meantime held office on several occasions in the Provincial Executive, besides for a time filling the office of Speaker in the Provincial Council. In 1863 Mr. Hunter was member for Dunedin in the New Zealand