Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 106 Part 5.djvu/650

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page needs to be proofread.


106 STAT. 4288 PUBLIC LAW 102-567—OCT. 29, 1992 (1) be the academic administrative organization and fiscal agent for the Program; (2) award and administer such grants and subcontracts as are approved by the Committee under subsection (b); (3) develop and implement a scientific peer review process for evaluating grant and subcontractor applications prior to review by the Committee; (4) in cooperation with the Secretary of Conmierce and the Committee, procure the services of a scientific project director; Imports- (5) develop and submit budgets, progress reports, work plans, and plans of operation for the Program to the Secretary of Conmierce and the Committee; and (6) make available to the Committee such staff, information, and assistance as the Committee may reasonably require to carry out its activities. (d) REPORTING REQUIREMENTS.— Within 3 months afl;er the date of enactment of this Act and within each of the next three consecutive 3-month intervals, the Secretary of Commerce shall provide Congress with written assessments of Federal efforts to implement this section. In addition, the Secretary of Commerce shall submit an annual report to Congress on the Program, including a description of the rosearoh funded under the Program and the rosults of such research. (e) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS. —(1) Of the sums authorized under section 4(a) of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Marine Fisheries Program Authorization Act (Public Law 98-210; 97 Stat. 1409), there are authorized to be appropriated to the Secret£ury of Commerce $5,200,000 for each of the fiscal years 1993 through 1997 for carrying out the Program. Of the amounts appropriated pursuant to this authorization, not more than 5 percent of such appropriation may be used for administrative purposes by the National Ocecuiic and Atmospheric Administration. The remaining 95 percent of such appropriation shall be used to meet the administrative and scientific objectives of the Program. (2) The Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference shall not administer appropriations authorized under this section, but may be reimbursed from such appropriations for its expenses in arranging for travel, meetings, workshops, or conferences necessary to carry out the Program. (0 DEFINITIONS.—As used in this section, the term— (1) "Consortium" means the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium; and (2) "shellfish" means any species of oyster, clam, or mussel that is harvested for human consumption. SEC. 30e. COOPERATIVE INSTITUTE OF FISHERIES OCEANOGRAPHY. North Carolina. The Secretary of Commerce shall acquire on a long-term basis fix>m the Administrator of General Services space on Pivers Island in Beaufort, North Carohna, that is needed to implement the memorandum of understanding of Maroh 2, 1989, between the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Duke University, and the University of North Carolina estoblishing the Cooperative Institute of Fisheries Oceanography. This section shall not apply if the annual cost of leasing the required space exceeds $2,000,000.