(Redirected from Portal:Biographies)
|Class C - Sciences of History||Biography|
|Biography on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.A biography is a detailed description or account of someone's life and the times, which is or told by a different author. A biography is more than a list of impersonal facts (education, work, relationships, and death), it also portrays the subject's experience of those events. Unlike a profile or curriculum vitae (résumé), a biography presents the subject's story, highlighting various aspects of his or her life, including intimate details of experiences, and may include an analysis of the subject's personality.— Excerpted from|
- Sir Samuel Bentham by Mary Sophia Bentham
- Portrait of Julius Caesar by Suetonius
- List of Carthusians, 1800–1879 by William Douglas Parish
- Life of Henry Clay by Carl Schurz
- The Poetical Works of William Cowper (introductory memoir) by William Benham
- St. Edmund, King and Martyr, by Aelfric, Abbot of Eynsham (955(?) - 1020(?)). A literary account of the martyrdom of St. Edmund, a King of England.
- Biographical Memoir of George Engelmann, by Charles A. White.
- James Gilmour of Mongolia by Richard Lovett
- Herschel by Author:Hector Macpherson
- Right Reverend Mark Anthony De Wolfe Howe, D. D. First Bishop of Central Pennsylvania: A Biographical Sketch by Mark Anthony De Wolfe Howe, Jr.
- Friedrich Kapp article from The Nation
- Notice de la Vie et des Ecrits de George Louis Le Sage (English) by John Playfair
- The Story of Abraham Lincoln by James Baldwin
- The Life of Abraham Lincoln Little Blue Book Ten Cent Pocket Series No. 324 by John Hugh Bowers
- Abraham Lincoln: An Essay by Carl Schurz
- Biography of Eddie August Schneider (1911-1940) Aviator
- Robert Louis Stevenson: a short biography by Edmund Gosse from 11th Edition Britannica
- Arthur Schopenhauer, his Life and Philosophy by Helen Zimmern, the influential work that introduced Schopenhauer and his philosophy to the English speaking world.
- Ælfric's Lives of Saints
- Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography (1888-1900)
- Biographia Hibernica (1822)
- A Biographical Dictionary of Ancient, Medieval, and Modern Freethinkers by Joseph McCabe (1945)
- A biographical dictionary of eminent Scotsmen (1857) (incomplete) edited by Thomas Napier Thomson
- Cyclopædia of American Biographies (1903)
- The Cyclopædia of American Biography (1918)
- The Dictionary of Australasian Biography (1892)
- Dictionary of Christian Biography and Literature to the End of the Sixth Century by Henry Wace and William C. Piercy
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology by William Smith
- Dictionary of National Biography edited by Leslie Stephen and Sidney Lee
- Goodspeed's Northwestern Arkansas/Biographical Appendix
- Historic Girls: Stories of Girls Who Have Influenced The History of Their Times
- The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans, 1st-2nd century C.E., by Plutarch
- Men of 1914 (1915)
- The Presidents of the United States, 1789-1914 by James Grant Wilson (editor)
- Real Soldiers of Fortune by Richard Harding Davis (early biographical sketches of Winston Churchill, Frederick Russell Burnham, et.al., written in 1906).
- Representative Men, 1850, by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Heroes Every Child Should Know by H. W. Mabie
- The Beginner's American History by David H. Montgomery
- Lives of the Eminent Commanders by Cornelius Nepos
- Makers of British botany by Francis Wall Oliver, ed., 1913
- Men of Invention and Industry, 1884, by Samuel Smiles (biographies of British engineers, inventors and entrepreneurs).
- Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus, 1st-2nd century C.E.
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature
- The Women of the American Revolution
Please see the related sub-indices: