|←Ronald Reagan's Presidential Proclamations||Proclamation 5142
|Delivered on 29 December 1983.|
By the President of the United States of America
1. Section 212 of the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act (the Act) (19 U.S.C. 2702) authorizes the President to designate certain countries and territories or successor political entities as "beneficiary countries" under the Act. In Proclamation 5133 of November 30, 1983, I designated several countries and territories as "beneficiary countries". I am now adding Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Montserrat, and the British Virgin Islands to the list of "beneficiary countries". I have notified the House of Representatives and the Senate of my intentions to designate these countries and given the considerations entering into my decision.
2. In order to add these countries to the list of beneficiary countries, I am amending the Annex to Proclamation 5133. I am also making certain technical corrections to the Annex to that proclamation.
Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes of the United
States, including but not limited to Section
212 of the Act, do proclaim that:
(1) The list of countries in the Annex to Proclamation 5133 of November 30, 1983, is hereby amended by adding, in alphabetical order, "Antigua and Barbuda", "Belize", "El Salvador", "Grenada", "Guatemala", "Haiti", "Honduras", "Montserrat", and "Virgin Islands, British".
(2) The references to "the United States Committee for the Implementation of Textile Agreements" in the Annex to Proclamation 5133 of November 30, 1983, are corrected to read "the United States".
(3) The reference to TSUS items "748.45478.50" in the Annex to Proclamation 5133 of November 30, 1983, is corrected to read "748.45-748.50".
In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-ninth day of December, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and eighth.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 11:23 a.m., January 3, 1984]