|←Ronald Reagan's Presidential Proclamations|| Proclamation 5690
|Delivered on 7 August 1987.|
By the President of the United States of America
1. Pursuant to section 502 (a) and (c) of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended (the Trade Act) (19 U.S.C. 2462 (a) and (c)), and having due regard for the eligibility criteria set forth therein, I have determined that it is appropriate to designate Greenland as a beneficiary developing country for purposes of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP).
2. Previously, under the terms of section 504 (a) and (c) of the Trade Act, as amended (19 U.S.C. 2464 (a) and (c)), I determined that it was appropriate to provide for the termination of GSP benefits for imports from Mexico under Tariff Schedules of the United States (TSUS) (19 U.S.C. 1202) item 470.85, effective July 1, 1985. In light of revised statistics made available to me by the Bureau of Census, I have determined that such benefits for such tariff item should not have been terminated. Accordingly, I have determined that imports from Mexico under TSUS item 470.85 during the period from July 1, 1985, through June 30, 1986, inclusive, should have been afforded the preferential tariff treatment provided under the GSP.
3. Section 604 of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2483) directs the President to embody in the TSUS the substance of relevant provisions of statutes affecting import treatment, and actions thereunder.
Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes of the United States of America, including but not limited to sections 502, 504, and 604 of the Trade Act, do proclaim that:
(1) General headnote 3(e)(v)(A) to the TSUS, listing those countries whose products are eligible for benefits of the GSP, is modified by inserting in alphabetical order in the list of non-independent countries and territories "Greenland".
(2) In order to afford benefits of the GSP to certain products of Mexico during the period from July 1, 1985, through June 30, 1986-
(a) TSUS item 470.85 is modified by deleting "A*" and by inserting in lieu thereof "A"; and
(b) General headnote 3(c)(iii) to the TSUS (later redesignated as general headnote 3(e)(v)(D)), listing those articles that are eligible for benefits of the GSP when imported from all designated beneficiary countries except those listed opposite those articles, is modified by deleting "470.85 . . . Mexico".
(3)(a) Annex III to Executive Order 12519 of June 13, 1985, listing articles that are eligible for benefits of the GSP when imported from all designated beneficiary countries except those specified in general headnote 3(c)(iii) to the TSUS, is amended by striking TSUS item "470.85".
(4) Annex IV to Proclamation 5365 of September 5, 1985, is superseded to the extent inconsistent with this Proclamation.
(5) (a) The amendments made by paragraph (1) of this Proclamation shall be effective with respect to articles both: (i) imported on or after January 1, 1976, and (ii) entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after the date of the signing of this Proclamation.
(b) The remaining amendments made by this Proclamation shall be effective with respect to articles both: (i) imported on or after January 1, 1976, and (ii) entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after July 1, 1985, and before the close of June 30, 1986.
In Witness Whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 7 day of Aug., in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eightyseven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twelfth.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 10:19 a.m., August 10, 1987]
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).|