The Gateless Gate/Shuzan's Short Staff
|←The Girl Comes Out From Meditation||The Gateless Gate (1228) by , translated by Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps
43. Shuzan's Short Staff
|Koan number 43 out of 49 in this work (published 1228, translated 1934)|
Shuzan held out his short staff and said: "If you call this a short staff, you oppose its reality. If you do not call it a short staff, you ignore the fact. Now what do you wish to call this?"
- Mumon’s comment: If you call this a short staff, you oppose its reality. If you do not call it a short staff, you ignore the fact. It cannot be expressed with words and it cannot be expressed without words. Now say quickly what it is.
- Holding out the short staff,
- He gave an order of life or death.
- Positive and negative interwoven,
- Even Buddhas and patriarchs cannot escape this attack.