Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1978
| The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1978
An Act to promote the reform of the statute law by the repeal, in accordance with recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission, of certain enactments which (except in so far as their effect is preserved) are no longer of practical utility; and to facilitate the citation of statutes. [31st July 1978]
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-
Repeals and associated amendments.
1.-(1) The enactments mentioned in Schedule 1 to this Act are hereby repealed to the extent specified in column 3 of that Schedule.
(2) The enactments mentioned in Schedule 2 to this Act are, in consequence of certain of the repeals made by this Act, hereby amended as provided by that Schedule.
Citation of Acts.
2. Schedule 3 to this Act shall have effect to facilitate the citation of the Acts of Parliament mentioned in it.
3.-(1) This Act extends to Northern Ireland.
(2) Her Majesty may by Order in Council provide that the repeal by this Act of any enactment specified in the Order shall on a date so specified extend to any of the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
4. This Act may be cited as the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1978.
|Chapter||Title or short title||Extent of repeal|
|1976 c. 16.||Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1976.||In Schedule 2, in Part I, in the entry relating to the Inebriates Act 1898, the words "and the Licensing (Scotland) Act 1959, section 160".|
|1976 c. 66.||Licensing (Scotland) Act 1976.||In section 50(2), the words from "and an application" onwards.|
|1977 c. 49.||National Health Service Act 1977.||In Schedule 14, in paragraph 13(1)(b), the word "48".|
|In Schedule 15, paragraphs 11 and 68.|
School Sites Act 1841
1. In the proviso to section 14 of the School Sites Act 1841 for the words from "without" to the end substitute "unless the Secretary of State consents".
School Grants Act 1855
2. In section 1 of the School Grants Act 1855 for the words from "the consent" to "writing" substitute "the Secretary of State gives his written consent".
Public Records Act (Northern Ireland) 1923
3.-(1) Section 12 of the Public Records Act (Northern Ireland) 1923 shall be renumbered so as to become section 12(1) of that Act.
(2) The following subsection shall be added at the end of the resulting subsection, and shall accordingly be section 12(2) of the said Act of 1923:-
- "(2) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the provisions of this Act shall have effect in relation to copies of calendars prepared as mentioned in section 27(5) of the Administration of Justice Act 1969 which have been removed to the Public Record office in Northern Ireland, either before the commencement of that Act or in pursuance of a direction given under section 27 of that Act, as they have effect in relation to Northern Ireland records.".
CITATION OF ACTS
1. The Acts specified below (none of which has hitherto had a short title) may respectively be cited by the short titles assigned to them in column 3.
|1 Mar. Sess. 3 c. 4.||An Acte for thestablishing of thoffice of the L. Steward of the Quenes Majesties most Honourable Housholde.||The Lord Steward Act 1554.|
|52 Geo. 3. c. 123.||An Act for amending and enlarging the Powers of an Act passed in the Fiftieth Year of His Present Majesty, to enable his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to grant Leases of certain Lands and Premises called Prince's Meadows, in the Parish of Lambeth, in the County of Surrey, Parcel of His said Royal Highness's Duchy of Cornwall, for the purpose of building thereon.||The Duchy of Cornwall Act 1812.|
|17 & 18 Vict. c. 93.||An Act for the Exchange of the Office in Somerset House of the Duchy of Cornwall for an Office to be erected in Pimlico on the Hereditary Possessions of the Crown.||The Duchy of Cornwall Office Act 1854.|
2.-(1) In the Short Titles Act 1896, in Schedule 1 in column against the Act 5 Geo. 4. c. 82, for the words "The Clerk of Parliaments Act 1824" substitute the words "The Clerk of the Parliaments Act 1824".
(2) A corresponding change shall be made in any existing citation of that Act, but without prejudice to the validity of any citation not so amended.
- Marginal note: Section 1.
- Marginal citation: 1841 c. 38.
- Marginal citation: 1855 c. 131.
- Marginal citation: 1923 c. 20 (N.I.).
- Marginal note: Section 2.
- Marginal citation: 1896 c. 14.
|This legislation is licensed under the United Kingdom Open Government Licence v1.0.