The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Ellwangen
ELLWANGEN, a town of Würtemberg, situated on the Jaxt, 55 m. N. E. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1867, 3,895, of whom about 700 are Protestants. It is the seat of the government of the circle of Jaxt, and has several schools and charitable institutions. The manufactures were formerly insignificant, but are growing in importance. Until 1802 it was the capital of the sovereign Benedictine provost of Ellwangen, who had a territory of about 140 sq. m. and an income of 120,000 florins. Near the town are the castle of Hohen-Ellwangen and a famous pilgrims' church.