The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Göppingen
GÖPPINGEN, a town of Würtemberg, on the Fils, 21 m. E. by S. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1871, 8,649. It contains a fine parish church, and an old castle with a winding stone staircase, known as Traubensteig or “grape staircase.” There is a brisk trade in wool, and manufactures of woollen and linen, toys, carriages, and other articles. About 5 m. S. of Göppingen is the watering place of Boll, with cold sulphurous springs, and a bath house belonging to the crown; and about 3 m. N. E. of the town the ruined castle of Hohenstaufen, once the seat of the Swabian house of German emperors.