The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Haverstraw
HAVERSTRAW, a town of Rockland co., New York, on the W. bank of the Hudson river, opposite Peekskill, and 32 m. N. of New York city hall; pop. in 1870, 6,412. The principal village is situated on the margin of the river, and is overhung by a line of limestone cliffs, which produce large quantities of lime. About 2 m. above is the village of Grassy Point. The principal business is the manufacture of bricks. The village contains a bank, a select school, two hotels, a weekly newspaper, print works, a foundery, a ship-building establishment, and three cigar factories. The town also contains the incorporated village of Warren, situated in the S. part. Stony Point, famous in the revolutionary war, is just above Haverstraw, from which it was separated in 1865.