The Darktown Strutters' Ball
- I've got some good news, Honey,
- An invitation to the Darktown Ball,
- It's a very swell affair,
- All the "high-browns" will be there,
- I'll wear my high silk hat and a frock tail coat,
- You wear your Paris Gown and your new shilk shawl,
- There ain't no doubt about it babe,
- We'll be the best dressed in the hall.
- I'll be down to get you in a Taxi honey
- You better be ready about half past eight,
- Now dearie, don't be late,
- I want to be there when the band starts playing
- Remember when we get there, Honey,
- The two steps I'm goin' to have 'em all,
- Goin' to dance out both my shoes:
- When they play the "Jelly Roll Blues"
- Tomorrow night, at the Darktown Strutters' Ball.
- We'll meet our high-toned neighbors,
- An exhibition of the "Baby Dolls",
- And each one will do their best,
- Just to outclass all the rest,
- And there'll be dancers from ev'ry foreign land,
- The classic, buck and wing, and the wooden colg:
- We'll win that fifty dollar prize,
- When we step out and "Walk the Dog".