The Darktown Strutters' Ball
- I've got some good news, Honey,
- An invitation to the Darktown Ball,
- It's a very swell affair,
- All the "high-browns" will be there,
- I'll wear my high silk hat and a frock tail coat,
- You wear your Paris Gown and your new shilk shawl,
- There ain't no doubt about it babe,
- We'll be the best dressed in the hall.
- I'll be down to get you in a Taxi honey
- You better be ready about half past eight,
- Now dearie, don't be late,
- I want to be there when the band starts playing
- Remember when we get there, Honey,
- The two steps I'm goin' to have 'em all,
- Goin' to dance out both my shoes:
- When they play the "Jelly Roll Blues"
- Tomorrow night, at the Darktown Strutters' Ball.
- We'll meet our high-toned neighbors,
- An exhibition of the "Baby Dolls",
- And each one will do their best,
- Just to outclass all the rest,
- And there'll be dancers from ev'ry foreign land,
- The classic, buck and wing, and the wooden colg:
- We'll win that fifty dollar prize,
- When we step out and "Walk the Dog".
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1975, so this work is also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 30 years or less. This work may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.