The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Fraunces' Tavern
|←Frauenlob||The Encyclopedia Americana
|Fraunhofer, Joseph von→|
|Edition of 1920. See also Fraunces Tavern on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
FRAUNCES' TAVERN, an ancient building at the southeast corner of Broad and Pearl streets, New York. It was originally built by the Delancey family and long occupied as a mansion. Afterward it was transformed into a tavern. After the British evacuation of New York it was for a time the headquarters of Gen. George Washington, who here on 4 Dec. 1783 delivered his farewell address to his officers. In 1768 the New York Chamber of Commerce was founded here, and in 1902 it was purchased and restored by the Sons of the Revolution, who have thus preserved for posterity one of the famous landmarks of Revolutionary days. The tavern is still maintained.