The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Lancaster (Massachusetts)

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
The Encyclopedia Americana
Lancaster (Massachusetts)
Edition of 1920. See also Lancaster, Massachusetts on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.

LANCASTER, Mass., town, and several villages combined, in Worcester County, on the Nashua River, and the Boston and Maine Railroad, 18 miles north of Worcester. Here is the State Industrial School for Girls, a public library, four churches, the Thayer Museum of North American Birds, high school, and manufactures of brick, cotton yarn, brushes, etc.; printing office and book-bindery; also large poultry and other farming interests. The Seventh Day Adventists maintain a large academy at South Lancaster. The town was first settled in 1651 by John Prescott. In 1676 the Indians laid the place in ruins and killed 40 of the inhabitants. It is the birthplace of Mrs. Caroline Lee (Whiting) Hentz, author of ‘The Planter's Northern Bride’ and other once popular novels; James C. Carter, the noted lawyer, and Luther Burbank. The town owns the waterworks. Pop. 2,585.