The New International Encyclopædia/Ellwangen
|←Ellsworth, Oliver||The New International Encyclopædia
|Edition of 1905. See also Ellwangen on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
ELLWANGEN, ĕl'wäng-en. The capital of the Circle of Jaxt, Württemberg, Germany, or the Jaxt, 55 miles northeast of Stuttgart (Map: Germany, C 4). It is situated amid beautiful valley scenery, on the slope of a hill crowned by the Hohen-Ellwangen Castle. The Romanesque Stifteskirche, dating from 770, is its most interesting building. In the vicinity are the mineral baths of Schrezeim, and on the Schönenberg, 1710 feet high, the Pilgrimage Church of Loretto. The domestic manufactures of the town are of growing importance. Ellwangen was the capital of a Benedictine principality of 140 square miles until 1802. Population, in 1900, 4747.