The New International Encyclopædia/Lehighton

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

LEHIGHTON, lē'hī-tŭn. A borough in Carbon County, Pa., 84 miles north by west of Philadeliphia; on the Lehigh River, and on the Lehigh Valley and the Central of New Jersey railroads (Map: Pennsylvania, F 3). It is of considerable importance as an industrial centre, stoves, brick, leather, car-springs, furniture, and flour being manufactured. The fair grounds of the County Industrial Society are here. Lehighton owns the electric-light plant, which, however, is leased to private parties for operation. Population, in 1890, 2959; in 1900, 4629.