The Times/1904/Obituary/Henry Palin Gurney
|←The Times||Obituary: Reverend Dr. Henry Palin Gurney (1904)|
Henry Palin Gurney (1847-1904)
Source: The Times, Tuesday, Aug 16, 1904; Issue 37474; pg. 7; col F — Obituary. The Rev. Dr. H. P. Gurney.
The Rev. Dr. H. P. Gurney
A correspondent telegraphs from Arolla under yesterday's date:—"Dr. Gurney, Principal of the Durham College of Science, Newcastle-on-Tyne, in climbing the Gisa, above Arolla, on the 13th, alone, fell from the rocks and was killed instantly. No one knew his plans, so there was little to guide the search parties who went out on Saturday night and Sunday, but his footmarks were observed by a gentleman on Sunday and gave a clue, and early this morning the body was found. There is an English church and churchyard here." An Exchange Telegraph Company's telegram from Arolla adds that Dr. Gurney had been staying there for some time. The body was discovered at the bottom of a gully at the base of the path usually followed for the ascent. Dr. Gurney had evidently slipped at the outset of his climb.
The Rev. Henry Palin Gurney was perhaps best known as having been partner with the late Mr. Wren in the famous "Cramming" establishment which bore their names. Born in London in 1847, he was educated at the City of London School and Clare College, Cambridge. He rowed in his college boat and ran for his University in the mile at Oxford and Cambridge sports of 1868 and 1869. In 1870 he took his degree, being 14th wrangler in the mathematical tripos and fourth in the first class in the natural sciences tripos, and his college elected him to a Fellowship. In 1827 he was ordained deacon and priest, to the curacy of Rotherhithe, by the Bishop of Ely (Dr. E. H. Browne), and from 1876 to 1886 he was curate of St. Peter's Kensington. In 1877 his long connexion with "Wren and Gurney" began, his position being that of managing partner. It terminated in 1894, when he went to Newcastle on receiving the appointment of Principal of the Durham College of Science, in which he held the chair of mathematics and was lecturer in mineralogy. He proceeded M.A. ad cundem at Durham in 1894, and two years later that University conferred on him the honorary degree of D.C.L. He was one of Bishop Jacob's chaplains at Newcastle, and was also warden of the Diocesan House of Mercy and chaplain of the 3rd V.B. Northumberland Fusiliers.
Dr. Gurney was at one time deputy professor of mineralogy at Cambridge and examined for the natural sciences tripos. He was a Fellow of the Geological Society, the Physical Society of London, and the Mineralogical Society. Among his publications may be mentioned a memoir of the late Lord Armstrong, "The Continuity of Life," a manual on crystallography, and "Notes on the Geology of Finland." He married, in 1872, Louisa, daughter of the Rev. H. S. Hele, of Gray's Essex.
Our Newcastle Correspondent telegraphs:— "The news of Dr. Gurney's death came as a great shock to the people of Newcastle, by whom he was much respected. He was a recognized leader in education matters, and was early co-opted a member of both the Newcastle and the Northumberland education committees, being particularly useful on the higher education and other sub-committees. He was also college representative on the governing bodies of the Henry Smith School, Hartlepool, the Middlesborough High School, the Newcastle Grammar School, the Sharp School, Rothbury and Tomlinson School, Rothbury.
This work was published before January 1, 1923 and it is anonymous or pseudonymous due to unknown authorship. It is in the public domain in the United States as well as countries and areas where the copyright terms of anonymous or pseudonymous works are 109 years or less since publication.