United Nations Security Council Resolution 541
Adopted by the Security Council on 18 November 1983
The Security Council,
Having heard the statement of the Foreign Minister of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus,
Concerned at the declaration by the Turkish Cypriot authorities issued on 15 November 1983 which purports to create in independent state in northern Cyprus,
Considering that this declaration is incompatible with the 1960 Treaty concerning the establishment of the Republic of Cyprus and the 1960 Treaty of Guarantee,
Considering therefore that the attempt to create a "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus" is invalid, and will contribute to a worsening of the situation in Cyprus,
Reaffirming its resolutions 365(1974) and 367(1975),
Aware of the need of a solution to the Cyprus problem, based on the mission of good offices undertaken by the Secretary-General,
Affirming its continued support for the United Nations Peace- keeping Force in Cyprus,
Taking note of the Secretary-Generals statement of 17 November 1983,
1. Deplores the declaration of the Turkish Cypriot authorities of the purported secession of part of the Republic of Cyprus;
2. Considers the declaration refereed to above as legally invalid and calls for its withdrawal;
3. Calls for the urgent and effective implementation of its resolutions 365(1974) and 367(1975);
4. Requests the Secretary-General to peruse his mission of good offices in order to achieve the earliest possible progress towards a just and lasting settlement in Cyprus;
5. Calls upon the parties to co-operate with the Secretary- General in his mission of good offices;
6. Calls upon all states to respect the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and non-alignment of the Republic of Cyprus;
7. Calls upon all states not to recognise any Cypriot state other than the Republic of Cyprus;
8. Calls upon all states and the two communities in Cyprus to refrain from any action which might exacerbate the situation;
9. Requests the Secretary-General to keep the Security Council fully informed.
Adopted at the 2500th meeting by 13 votes to 1 against (Pakistan) with 1 abstention (Jordan).
This work is excerpted from an official document of the United Nations. The policy of this organisation is to keep most of its documents in the public domain in order to disseminate "as widely as possible the ideas (contained) in the United Nations Publications".