The Gateless Gate/Who Is He?
|←Basho's Staff||The Gateless Gate (1228) by , translated by Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps
45. Who Is He?
|Proceed From The Top Of The Pole→|
|Koan number 45 out of 49 in this work (published 1228, translated 1934)|
Hoen said: "The past and future Buddhas, both are his servants. Who is he?"
- Mumon’s comment: If you realize clearly who he is, it is as if you met your own father on a busy street. There is no need to ask anyone whether or not your recognition is true.
- Do not fight with another's bow and arrow.
- Do not ride another's horse.
- Do not discuss another's faults.
- Do not interfere with another's work.