1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Pagan (Burma)
PAGAN, a town and former capital, in Myingyan district. Upper Burma, 92 m. S.W. of Mandalay. It was founded by King Pyinbya in 847, and remained the capital until the extinction of the dynasty in 1298. Pagan itself is now a mere village, but hundreds of pagodas in various stages of decay meet the eye in every direction. The majority of them were built by King Anawra-hta, who overcame the Peguan king, Manuha of Thaton. It was Anawra-hta who introduced the Buddhist religion in Upper Burma, and who carried off nearly the whole Thaton population to build the pagodas at Pagan on the model of the Thaton originals. Many of these are of the highest architectural interest, besides being in themselves most imposing structures. Pagan is still a popular place of Buddhist pilgrimage, and a museum has been built for the exhibition of antiquities found in the neighbourhood. The population in 1901 was 6254.