1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Redlands
REDLANDS, a city of San Bernardino county, in southern California, U.S.A., 67 m. (by rail) E. of Los Angeles. Pop. (1900) 4797; (1910) 10,449. It is served by the Southern Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fé railways and by interurban electric lines. The city lies at an altitude of 1350–1600 ft. at the eastern end of the San Bernardino Valley, surrounded on three sides by mountains. To the east Grayback (11,725 ft.) and San Bernardino (11,600 ft.), to the south-east San Iacinto (10,805 ft.), and to the north-west Cajon Pass (4119 ft.) and San Antonio, of Old Baldy (10,142 ft.), are conspicuous landmarks. The city is a well-known tourist and health resort, with beautiful drives. Canyon Crest Park (Smiley Heights) contains about 300 acres, and Prospect Park 50 acres. The city has the A. K. Smiley Public Library, the gift of A. K. Smiley, and is the seat of the University of Redlands (Baptist; co-educational), incorporated in 1907 and opened in 1909. Redlands is one of the most famous orange-growing and shipping centres of California; it also ships other citrus fruits, olive oil, barley, wheat and stone. Olive oil and jam, marmalade and preserved fruits are manufactured. There are electric power plants in the mountains (three in Mill Creek Canyon and two in Santa Ana Canyon). A settlement called Lugonia was established within the limits of the present city in 1874, but Redlands dates from 1887, when it was settled by people from New England, and was chartered as a city.