1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Stoke Newington
STOKE NEWINGTON, a north-eastern metropolitan borough of London, England, bounded E. by Hackney and W. by Islington, and extending N. to the boundary of the county of London. Pop. (1901), 51,247. It is mainly occupied by small villas. On its western boundary, adjoining Green Lanes, lies Clissold Park (54 acres) and outside the north-western boundary is Finsbury Park (115 acres). In Church Street is the ancient parish church of St Mary, largely restored, but still bearing the stamp of antiquity; opposite to it stands a new church in Decorated style by Sir Gilbert Scott. In the north of the borough are the main waterworks and reservoirs of the New River Company, though the waterway continues to a head in Finsbury. Stoke Newington is partly in the north division of the parliamentary borough of Hackney, but the district of South Hornsey, included in the municipal borough, is in the Hornsey division of Middlesex. The borough council consists of a mayor, 5 aldermen and 30 councillors. Area, 863.5 acres.