1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Suwalki (town)

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

SUWALKI, a town of Russian Poland, capital of the government of the same name, situated at the source of the Hancza, a tributary of the Niemen, 65 m. by rail N.W. of Grodno. Pop. 27,165. In the 15th century it was a small village amid forests, peopled by Lithuanians. Its trade is chiefly in timber, grain, woollen cloth and other manufactured goods.