1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Tîrgu Jiu
TÎRGU JIU (often incorrectly written Tergu Jiu), the capital of the department of Gorjiu, Rumania; situated among the lower slopes of the Carpathians, on the left bank of the river Jin, and at the terminus of a branch railway which joins the main Walachian line between Turnu Severin and Craiova. Pop. (1900), 6634. The town has a small trade in timber, petroleum and farm produce. Anthracite coal is found in the neighbourhood.