1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Wallis Archipelago
WALLIS ARCHIPELAGO, Uvea, or Uea, a group of islands in the Pacific Ocean, N.E. of Fiji, about 13° S., 176° W., with a land area of 40 sq. m., belonging to France. It was placed under the French protectorate on the 5th of April 1887, and connected for administrative purposes with New Caledonia by decree of the 27th of November 1888. There is a French Resident in the islands, which are connected by a regular service •with Noumea, New Caledonia. The principal islands are Uvea, of volcanic formation and surrounded with coral, and Nukuatea. The islands were discovered by Samuel Wallis in 1767, and it was a missionary. Father Bataillon, who in 1837 first brought the influence of France to bear on the natives. These, about 4500 in number, are of Polynesian race, gentle and industrious. The trade of the islands is mainly with Samoa, whence cottons and iron goods are imported, and to which copra and roots are exported. The Home Islands (Fotuna and Alofa), S.W . of the Wallis Islands, were discovered by Jacob Lemaire and Willem Cornells Schouten in 1616, and placed under the French protectorate by decree of the i6th of February 1888. They have 1500 inhabitants.