1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Whitstable
WHITSTABLE, a watering-place in the St Augustine's parliamentary division of Kent, England, on the north coast at the east end of the Swale, 6 m. N.N.W. of Canterbury, on the South Eastern & Chatham railway. Pop. of urban district (1901), 7086. The branch railway connecting Whitstable with Canterbury was one of the earliest in England, opened in 1830. The church of All Saints (Decorated and Perpendicular) possesses some old brasses; it was restored in 1875. Whitstable has been famous for its oyster beds from time immemorial. The fisheries were held by the Incorporated Company of Dredgers (incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1793), the affairs being administered by a foreman, deputy foreman and jury of twelve; but in 1896 an Act of Parliament transferred the management of the fishery to a company. The less extensive Seasalter and Ham oyster fishery adjoins. There is also a considerable coasting trade in coal in conjunction with the South-Eastern & Chatham railway company, who are the owners of the harbour, which accommodates vessels of about 400 tons alongside the quay. The urban district consists of parts of the old parishes of Whitstable and Seasalter. In modern times the manor was held by Wynne Ellis (1790-1875), who left a valuable collection of paintings to the nation.
Tankerton, adjoining Whitstable to the N.E., is a newly established seaside resort.