1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Yaroslavl (town)

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

YAROSLAVL, a town of Russia, capital of the government of the same name, on the right bank of the Volga, at its confluence with the Kotorost, 174 m. by rail N.E. of Moscow. Pop. about 70,000. Yaroslavl is an archiepiscopal see. The Uspenskiy cathedral was begun in 1215 and rebuilt in 1646–48; the churches of the Preobrazhenskiy monastery, St John's and Voskreseniye date from the 15th and 17th centuries. Yaroslavl has a lyceum, founded (1803) by a wealthy member of the Demidov family. The manufactories include cotton mills, flour-mills, tobacco and linen factories. The town was founded in 1026–36. It became the chief town of a principality in 1218 and remained so until 1471, when it fell under the dominion of Moscow.