Author:James Clerk Maxwell
|←Author Index: Ma||James Clerk Maxwell
A Scottish mathematical physicist, born in Edinburgh
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "J. C. M."
- A Problem in Dynamics (1854)
- On Faraday's Lines of Force (1855)
- Illustrations of the Dynamical Theory of Gases (1860)
- On Physical Lines of Force (1861)
- A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field (1865)
- On the Dynamical Theory of Gases (1867)
- On Governors (1868)
- Theory of Heat (1871)
- On the Focal Lines of a Refracted Pencil (1871)
- A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism (1873)
- Molecules (1873)
- To the Committee of the Cayley Portrait Fund (1874)
- On Hamilton's Characteristic Function for a Narrow Beam of Light (1874)
- Matter and Motion (1876)
- On Stresses in Rarified Gases Arising from Inequalities of Temperature (1879)
- On a Possible Mode of Detecting a Motion of the Solar System through the Luminiferous Ether (1879)
- An Elementary Treatise on Electricity (1881)
- The Scientific Papers of James Clerk Maxwell (published posthumously, 1890)
Articles in Popular Science Monthly
- "The Theory of Molecules," in Popular Science Monthly Volume 4, January 1874
- "The Protection of Buildings from Lightning," in Popular Science Monthly Volume 10, December 1876
Contributions to Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition
- “Atom” in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1878.
- “Attraction” in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1878.
- “Ether” in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1878.
- “Capillary Action,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911 (in part)
- “Diagram,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Faraday, Michael,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Maxwell, James Clerk” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- "Sketch of James Clerk Maxwell," in Popular Science Monthly Volume 17, May 1880
- “Maxwell, James Clerk,” in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- “Maxwell, James Clerk,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911