|←Author Index: Br||Joseph Brookbank
(1612 – c. 1660)
|English clergyman and schoolmaster|
- 'Joh. Amos Comenii Vestibulum Novissimum Linguæ Latinæ, &c. Joh. Amos Comenius His Last Porch of the Latin Tonpo, &c.,' 1647. 16mo (the Latin of Comenius is given on alternate pages with an English version from the Dutch of Henry Schoof compared with the original).
- 'The Saints' Imperfection.&c.,' 6046 (but corrected by Thompson to 19 Dec. 1648), 16mo (sermon on Heb. v. 12; the title-page is otherwise faulty; it was reissued with new title-page in 1656).
- 'Vitis Salutaris: Or, the Vine of Catechetical Divinitie, and Saying Truth, &c.,' 1650, 16mo (a catechism dedicated to parishioners of West Wycombe; a reissue in 1658 has a new title-page, and omits the dedicstion).
- 'An English Monosyllabary.' 1651, 16mo (a singular little book, dedicated to Susan, wife of Edward Trussell, and her sister Philadelphia, daughters of Sir Edward Richards; containing in rhythmical form 'all the words of one syllabl, in our English tongue drawne out into a legibl sens;' at the end are a few prayers in monosyllables).
- 'Plain. Brief, and Pertinent Rules for the Judicious and Artificial Syllabification of all English Words, &c.,' 1654, 16mo (the account of the author's plan for the management of a school is curious).
- 'Two Books more exact and judicious for the Entring of Children to Spell and Read English than were ever yet extant, viz. An English Syllabary, and An English Monosyllabary, &c.,' 1654, 16mo (the second book is simply No. 4, not reprinted; there is a reissue with new title-page as ' The Cornpleat School-Master, '1660).
- 'Orthographia, hoc est, Grammatices Nostrse Regiae Latinae Pars prima … Cui adjungitur Grammatices ejusdem … Synopsis/ 1657, 16mo.
- 'A Breviate of our Kings whole Latin Grammar, vulgarly called fillies,' n.d. (dedication dated 4 July 1660).
- 'The Well-tun'd Organ; or an exercitation wherein this question is discuss'd, whether or no instrumental and organick musick be lawful in holy publick assemblies,' 1660, 4to (Bodleian catalogue).
- 'Rebels Tried and Cast, in three Sermons, on Rom. xiii. 2, &c.,' 1661, 12mo (Wood).
Works about Brookbank
- “Brookbank, Joseph,” in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.