British North America Act (No. 2), 1975
Jump to navigation Jump to search
23 & 24 Elizabeth II, c. 53 (Canada)
An Act to amend the British North America Acts, 1867 to 1975
[Assented to 19th March, 1975.]
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:—
Constitution of Senate altered
1. Notwithstanding anything in the British North America Act, 1867, or in any Act of the Parliament of Canada, or in any order in council or terms or conditions of union made or approved under any such Act,
- (a) the number of Senators provided for under section 21 of the British North America Act, 1867, as amended, is increased from one hundred and two to one hundred and four;
- (b) the maximum number of Senators is increased from one hundred and ten to one hundred and twelve; and
- (c) the Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories shall be entitled to be represented in the Senate by one member each.
2. For the purposes of this Act, the term "Province" in section 23 of the British North America Act, 1867 has the same meaning as is assigned to the term "province" by section 28 of the Interpretation Act.
Short title and citation
3. This Act may be cited as the British North America Act (No. 2), 1975, and shall be included among the Acts that may be cited as the British North America Acts, 1867 to 1975.