Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Angra
Angra, Diocese of, the episcopal see of the Azores, suffragan of Lisbon, known as Angra do Heroismo, created in 1534 by Paul III, vacant from 1637 to 1671. It is situated on the island of Terceira and includes, besides that island, the eight others that form the group of the Azores: São Jorge, Graciosa, Fayal, Pico, Flores, Corvo, São Miguel, and Santa Maria. The entire population, nearly all Catholic, is 262,073. There are 353 priests, 108 parishes, 41 succursal, or mission, churches, and 332 churches and chapels.
BATTANDIER, Ann. Pont. Cath. (Paris, 1905), 213; WERNER, Orbis Terr. Cath. (Freiburg, 1890), 51; THOMAS AB INCARNAT., Hist. Eccl. Lusitaniæ (Coimbra, 1757-63).