Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Vicariate Apostolic of Trichur (Trichurensis)
Vicariate Apostolic in India, one of the three vicariates of the Syro-Malabar Rite, bounded on the north by the diocese of Mangalore, east by the diocese of Coimbature, south by the Vicariate of Ernaculam, and on the west by the Indian Ocean. According to the census of 1900 the Catholics of the, Syrian Rite in the vicariate numbered 91,998, having 63 churches and 23 chapels served by 66 native secular priests. There are also three monasteries of Tertiary Carmelite monks at Elthuruth, Ampalacad, and Paratti, containing about 20 professed and 11 lay brothers, besides a number of novices; also four convents for Carmelite nuns with 31 professed besides novices, postulants and lay sisters. There are in the vicariate 2 high schools, 2 lower secondary schools, and 184 elementary schools, the number of children under training being 19,093. A seminary at Trichur prepares candidates for Puthenpally or Kandy. The vicar Apostolic (John Menacherry, appointed 1896) resides at Trichur. For the ancient history of the Christians of the Syro-Malabar Rite see THOMAS CHRISTIANS. They remained under the jurisdiction partly of Cranganore, till 1887, when on the establishment of the hierarchy, the churches of the Syrian Rite were separated from those of the Latin Rite and placed under two vicars Apostolic with their centres at Trichur and Kottayam respectively. Later on, in 1896, a new division was made and three vicariates established, viz. of Trichur, Ernaculam, and Changanacherry. These three vicariates cover the same ground as the Archdiocese of Verapoly, the Archbishop of Verapoly exercising territorial jurisdiction over all Christians of the Latin Rite, while the vicars Apostolic hold personal and quasi-territorial jurisdiction over all of the Syrian Rite. The vicariates are nominally classed as belonging to the province of Verapoly, but without the usual ecclesiastical connection.
(See CHANGANACHERRY, VICARIATE APOSTOLIC OF; VERAPOLY, ARCHDIOCESE OF; DAMAO, DIOCESE OF; EASTERN CHURCHES; THOMAS CHRISTIANS.)
Madras Catholic Directory, 1910.
Ernest R. Hull.