Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Ven. César de Bus
A priest and founder of two religious congregations, b. 3 February, 1544, at Cavaillon, Comtat Venaissin (now France); d. 15 April, 1607, at Avignon. At eighteen he joined the king's army and took part in the war against the Huguenots. After the war he devoted some time to poetry and painting, but soon made up his mind to join the fleet which was then besieging La Rochelle. Owing to a serious sickness this design could not be carried out. Up to this time de Bus had led a pious and virtuous life, which, however during a sojourn of three years in Paris was changed for one of pleasure and dissipation. From Paris he went back to Cavaillon. Upon the death of his brother, a canon of Salon, he succeeded in obtaining the vacated benefice, which he sought for the gratification of his worldly ambitions. Shortly after this, however, he returned to a better life, resumed his studies, and in 1582 was ordained to the priesthood. He distinguished himself by his works of charity and his zeal in preaching and catechizing, and conceived the idea of instituting a congregation of priests who should devote themselves to the preaching of Christian Doctrine. In 1592, the "Prêtres séculiers de la doctrine chrétienne", or "Doctrinaires", were founded in the town of L'Isle and in the following year came to Avignon. This congregation was approved by Pope Clement VIII, 23 December, 1597. Besides the Doctrinaires, de Bus founded an order of women called "Filles de la doctrine chrétienne" and later the Ursulines. Pope Pius VII declared him Venerable in 1821. Five volumes of his "Instructions familières" were published (Paris, 1666).
DE BEAUVAIS, Vie du P. César de Bus (Paris, 1645); DUMAS, Vie du P. de Bus (Paris, 1703); HELYOT, Histoire des ordres religieux, revised ed. by BADICHE in MIGNE, Encyclopédie théologique (Paris, 1848), XXI; BRISCHAR in Kirchenlex., III, 1873, s.v. Doctrinarier; BAILLET, Les vies des saints (Paris, 1739), III, 617; HEIMBUCHER, Die orden und Kongregationen der kathol. Kirche (Paderborn, 1897), II, 338.