Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Alban's, St.
ALBAN'S, ST., a small and ancient borough of England, Hertfordshire, 20 miles N. N. W. of London, by the London and Northwestern railway. It is the ancient Roman Verulamium. The abbey church was built in 796, in honor of St. Alban, by the King Offa. Of this first abbey there remains but a gateway. The present abbey is an object worthy the attention of the antiquarian and the student of architecture. It is built in the form of a cross, running 547 feet from east to west, and having a breadth of 206 feet, at the intersection of the transept. Every style of architecture, from the time of the Romans to that of Henry VII., may be traced in it. Near the town of St. Alban's, two battles were fought between the houses of York and Lancaster. In the first, May 22, 1455, Richard, Duke of York, obtained a victory over Henry VI. In the second, Feb. 2, 1461, Margaret of Anjou defeated the army of the Yorkists, commanded by Warwick.