Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/New London

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

NEW LONDON, a city, port of entry, and one of the county-seats of New London co., Conn., on the Thames river, 3 miles from Long Island Sound, and on the New England, the New York, New Haven and Hartford, and the Central Vermont railroads; 50 miles E. of New Haven. Here are the New London County Historical Society Library, public library, hospital, parks, Connecticut College for Women, and Naval School of Instruction, United States naval station, electric street railroads, electric lights, National and State banks, daily and weekly newspapers, and water-works. It has woolen mills, silk mills, iron foundry, sewing-silk mill, cotton-gins, lumber mills, hardware works, copper tube works, oil-engine works, and printing press works. New London is protected by Forts Trumbull and Griswold. The latter was the scene of a massacre in 1781, which is commemorated by a shaft 127 feet high. Pop. (1910) 19,659; (1920) 25,688.