Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Chin-hae
CHIN-HAE, or Ching-hai, a district town of China, in the province of Che-keang, at the mouth of the Yung-keang River, 12 miles N.E. of Ningpo, in 29° 58′ N. lat. and 121° 45′ E. long. It lies at the foot of a hill on a tongue of land, and is partly protected from the sea on the N. by a dike about three miles long, composed entirely of large blocks of hewn granite. The walls are 20 feet high and 3 miles in circumference. The defences were formerly of considerable strength, and included a well-built but now dismantled citadel on a precipitous cliff, 250 feet high, at the extremity of the tongue of land on which the town is built. In the neighbourhood an engagement took place between the English and Chinese in 1841.