Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Elizabeth (4.)
United States, capital of Union county, New Jersey, is situated eleven miles W.S.W. of New York, on the Elizabeth river, near its junction with Staten Sound. It is a well-built and ﬂourishing place, and possesses twenty-eight churches, a Roman Catholic nunnery, a Court-house and county jail, a city hall, two high schools, a business college, a Collegiate school, an almshouse, and an orphan asylum. Besides a great establishment for the manufacture of the “Singer” sewing machine, there are breweries, foundries, potterics, and factories for edge-tools, saws, stoves, carriages, oil-cloth, &c. The port, which is open to vessels of 300 tons, is one of the greatest coal-shipping depots in the United States, forming, as it does, the outlet for the Pennsylvanian ﬁelds. The town dates from 1665; it was the capital of New Jersey from February 1755 to September 1790, and obtained its city charter in 1865. Populationin 1850, 5583; in 1870, 20,832.