Executive Order 12806
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Executive Order 12806 of May 19, 1992
Establishment of a Fetal Tissue Bank
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and in order to provide a source of human tissue to develop treatments and research methods for various diseases, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Establishment of a Fetal Tissue Bank.
- The Secretary of Health and Human Services ("Secretary") shall establish a human fetal tissue bank. The fetal tissue in the bank shall be obtained exclusively from ectopic pregnancies and spontaneous abortions.
Sec. 2. Procedures.
- The Secretary shall establish procedures for making tissue from the bank available for meritorious research projects selected through an appropriate peer review process. The Secretary shall include in the bank a registry of physicians and hospitals interested in using the tissue from the bank to further specific medical objectives.
Sec. 3. Policies.
- The Secretary shall develop human fetal cell lines in a manner consistent with current policy and ensure that the actions directed by sections 2 and 3 of this order are carried out in accordance with all other applicable legal requirements related to fetal tissue.
Sec. 4. Report.
- The Secretary shall report his progress in carrying out this order to the President on or before December 31, 1992.
The White House,
May 19, 1992.
- Revoked by:
- Pub.L. 103-43, Part III, § 121(c). ( 107 Stat. 133 )
- See Related:
- None Available
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).